Crewel update #5: Review

Sunday, February 3, 2013
You read it right! I am finished with Crewel!!!!!!!!!!!

Why am I so happy you ask? Because it took me 22 stinking days to finish this book. 22. And it's not just that it takes me a long time to read in general, I was busy, and it took quite a while for this book to pull me in. But 22 days. That is just ridiculous. But anyhow, I present to you, my first review!!!!! (Holy crap that rhymed!!!! WIN!!!!)



Crewel by Gennifer Albin

Rating: *** 1/2 stars

Initial reaction after reading this book:


Wow. I did not see that ending coming. That was just, well unexpected to say the least. Like seriously? I had read about the originality of this book in several reviews, and now that I've read it, I believe it. I gave this a 3 1/2 star rating for several reasons, so without further ado, let's get into the good and bad of this book.

The Good:

1. The plot.
In this book, Earth has long since destroyed itself by a war between every country which resulted in everyone going:



On top of this world, people (it is not clear in my mind who), created an entirely new world, made from like this magical, weird, moving thread/weave thing. The government chooses girls who are able to manipulate the weave of this world to help the world Arras to carry on. They are called spinsters. Spinsters receive privileges every girl would die for: Gorgeous gowns, eternal beauty, anything they desire is theirs. But Adelice Lewys doesn't want to be a spinster. She wants to be a normal girl, But she knows that's not possible. Because ever since she little she was able to manipulate the weave. Her parent's discovered her talent and trained her to hide it. But in her evaluation, she makes a tiny slip-up, and starts weaving. The Guild comes for her. She tries to run. They catch her. They punish her. They train her. They control her. They use her. She makes friends and enemies. She falls in love, and falls out of love. She hates and is hated. She tries to run and is run after. 
This book had an action packed and creative plot. For the most part, it didn't remind me of any book I've ever read before. 

2. The Characters.
So, the characters in this book were very well-developed. I liked how Adelice didn't resign herself to her fate of being a spinster and acted really snarky to several people, in particular Cormac Patton. Cormac Patton. Oh how I hated him. That disgusting, horrific, perverted, alcoholic FREAK! I was literally SCREAMING at the book when Cormac was there. And everyone else would look at me like:




But whatever. On to more lovable characters like Josten Bell. DAWWWW!!!! He was so sweet! Feeding Adelice, you know, he was just an overall great character, and Albin did great at developing his character, as well as Erik's, who I could completely picture: an arrogant, handsome, charming, powerful guy. Every character was so different, and that was pretty nice. Pryana, Loricel, Maela, Enora, Valery, they all had completely different personalities. Everything about them was original, down to their names.

3. The Romance.
Well, the romance between Jost and Adelice. It is kind of insta-love, but at least that's not the only thing on her mind at all times. And all the times they weaved moments together so they could stay together, that just showed how deep their love was, and they both had suffered great losses.

The Bad:

1. The plot
I know this was also a good aspect of this book, but I mean, WHAT THE HELL? I had NO idea what was going on throughout like half of this book.
This book would've been MUCH better if you know, it wasn't so brain-explodingly confusing. Like seriously, if you've read this book, would you please explain to me how the WORLD works in this book? Ugh.

2. The Romance
Again, this was also a good thing, but seriously? To make something Dystopian or Utopian doesn't mean you have to make a love triangle. I mean, come on! The Hunger Games, Delirium, Matched, they all had love triangles too! Why not be original and NOT have a love triangle? And the even MORE annoying thing is, that with most of these love triangles, the majority of people choose a certain person, so what's the point of it anyway?

So, for me, the goods outweighed the bad by a lot, so this book get's a good rating! I am definitely going to read the sequel. My hopes for it? That it is a little lot less confusing, and that Gennifer Albin DESTROYS the love triangle. I don't hate Erik, so it would suck for him to die, but maybe he finds someone else, and if push comes to shove, I guess he might HAVE to die for my wish to come true. I know how evil I sound, but trust me, I have good intentions.

Be princess Jasmine, and trust me! (She is BTW, my favorite Disney princess. Just so you know).

So the big question is: To read or not to read?

Read! You should DEFINITELY read this book! :)

Okay, so moving on to what I am currently reading:


Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

First of all, that cover is just HILARIOUS! I am so inexplicably excited to be reading this book! I have been waiting for quite a while, and now I finally can read it! Inside I am like:


and on the outside I'm like:



The description via goodreads:

The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.

What's a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program - or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan - or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?

Welcome to the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Your tour guide? None other than Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz Award-winning author of A Great and Terrible Beauty and Going Bovine. The result is a novel that will make you laugh, make you think, and make you never see beauty the same way again.

Sounds AMAZING!!!! 

Also, while I generally don't like reading two books at the same time, I have to do a reading project on a book, so I will be reading two books right now. The 2nd one is:


I love this book so much! I am re-reading it not only because I have to do a reading project, but also because I don't remember the details very well. This book, as well as several Carl Hiaasen books, are some of my most favorite books EVER. And the description from as always, Goodreads.com:

Carl Hiaasen, bestselling author of Basket Case and other hilarious Floridian capers, serves up a high-spirited fight for the environment in his first work aimed at younger audiences.
The site of Coconut Cove's future Mother Paula's All-American Pancake House is experiencing a slight problem: survey stakes removed, alligators in the port-a-potties, and painted-over patrol cars. But who's behind the clever vandalism and pranks? New Florida resident Roy Eberhardt isn't aware of these goings-on, but he has often noticed a barefoot boy running down the street faster than anything. His curiosity piqued, Roy starts to inquire around and even follows the boy once, only to be told by Beatrice Leep, a.k.a. Beatrice the Bear, to mind his own business. Despite Beatrice's warning and plenty of bullying from the lunkheaded Dana Matherson, Roy follows the boy, whose name is Mullet Fingers, one day and winds up in the middle of an ecological mission to save a parliament of burrowing owls from being bulldozed.
Full of colorful, well-developed characters, Hoot is a quick-witted adventure that will keep readers hooked. With down-to-earth Roy, dumbfounded Officer Delinko, and construction site manager Curly -- along with other head-shaking morons and uplifting heroes -- the author delivers an appealing cast of characters that keep the plot twisting and turning until the highly charged ending. Another zany trip to the Sunshine State for Hiaasen fans, this rewarding ecological adventure should keep readers young and old hooting with laughter.

I know it says it in the description, but I have to point this out too. One reason I love Carl Hiaasen's writing so much is because of his colorful, weird, characters. I am really excited to fall in love with this book again.

So, I am gonna go now, cuz it is 10:00 in the morning and I have been sitting here for at least an hour and I am still in my PJs. 

So long! Farewell! Auf Wiedersen! Goodbye! (I also LOVE The Sound of Music! It's a great musical/movie!)

BYE! :)







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...