Pretties by Scott Westerfeld: Review

Saturday, March 23, 2013
Hello!!!!

I am now going to post my review for Pretties by Scott Westerfeld! ***WARNING: This review may contain spoilers for this book and Uglies.***


Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Rating:**** 1/2 stars :)ish

Initial Reaction After Reading This Book:




Why Scott Westerfeld? Why?

It seems like at the end of every single book in the Uglies series, there will be some kind of last-second twist no one expects. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the twist. All in all, this was a good book, but it just didn't top Uglies for me. After reading Uglies,  I was UNBELIEVABLY excited to find out what Tally would be like now that she was pretty. But now... well... I guess I'll find out what she's like as a SPECIAL?!

The Good:

1. The setting. I was blown away by the originality of the setting of New Pretty Town, or more accurately, the technological advancements. Dystopian and Utopian fiction books sometimes disappoint me as far as technological advancements go. But this book certainly didn't. The surges, and those cuffs, and smart walls, it was all so high-tech. This world was definitely something beyond my wildest imagination. It exploded my brain.


2. The Characters. I loved the new characters in this book. Specifically, I loved the addition of Zane. He was a very sweet, loving character. I also liked Peris, but would have enjoyed reading more about him. And Dr. Cable? You gotta love how EVIL she is. :)

3. The plot twists. This book is definitely one that keeps you on your toes. You honestly never know what's coming next. When it finally seems that Tally is going to run away from New Pretty Town, you find out she missed her jump location, and she lands in the middle of some tribal community, which actually a research project of a group of specials, reminiscent of Running Out Of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix. Also, that ending. It honestly leaves you thinking:


Like really.

The Bad:

1. The concept. Okay, someone please explain to me, what does being Bubbly mean? Like seriously! Some of the important concepts of this book just flew right past me while I ran behind yelling, "Don't go!!!!!!" 

2. The mentality. Not of this book, but what the concept of pretty in this book was. It actually got to the point of freaky. Like, having a clock in your eye that moves counter clockwise and is surrounded by rhinestones? A tattoo that pulses to your heartbeat? What fresh hell is this? 

So even though I actually wasn't sure of the meaning behind some of the main points of this book, it was still an enticing read which I enjoyed. 

So, 

To Read Or Not To Read?

If you have read Uglies, READ!!!!

If you haven't read Uglies, first read Uglies, then READ!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...