The Time Has Come!

Friday, March 1, 2013
Hello my friends!

The time has come for me to catch up! So I will be posting as many reviews, updates, and intros as I can, before my mom yells at me to go to bed. (Warning: This blog post will most likely be super long).

So let's start with my update on The Pearl:

Mrs. Clausell, I am SO sorry if you read this and you have permission to hate me forever if this offends you, but I HATE The Pearl thus far. I like the discussions we have in reading class about it, but the book itself bores me to tears. Like I am not even kidding, I have trouble focusing on the page because my eyes are screaming, "No! Don't make me read more of this!" But I have to, so I do.

It makes me so sad, because I was hoping I would disagree with the others and end up liking this book, but so far, I haven't been able to enjoy this book at all.

Next: My intro and review of Invasion of The Boy Snatchers.


Invasion Of The Boy Snatchers by Lisi Harrison

I have been reading The Clique series for a while, and even if it isn't the most enlightening or inspiring book, it's guilty pleasure entertainment. This here is the 4th book of the series. This is the description via, you guessed it: Goodreads.


The holidays are over and Massie's room is chock-full of new things from Santa: jeans, sweater, and a new . . . roommate? Once Claire unpacks, Massie's room feels more crowded than a Zac Posen sample sale. But what's worse, Claire isn't the only person moving into Massie's territory -- Alicia's hot cousin, Nina, shows up from Spain and starts edging in on all the Briarwood boys, including Massie's crush! Will Nina, with her super-tight mall clothes, make every boy in Westchester fall in love with her? Or will Massie toss her out faster than last season's Sevens jeans? The social minefields of Westchester County's most privileged middle school girls drive the page-turning action of this addictive series, set in New York City's most elite suburban county. The Clique . . . the only thing harder than getting in is staying in.

So yeah! It's guilty pleasure time!

And the review:

Invasion Of The Boy Snatchers by Lisi Harrison
Rating: **stars

Initial Reaction After Reading This Book:



Well. I know how these books are, so based on that, it was OK. It wasn't great, but I'm not gonna worry about it. So here's the good and the bad:

The Good:

1. The Plot

The plot of these books is always good because they're all so different. Things were happening at all times, and there was never a dull moment. Also the plot mixes in some light-hearted humor which is always nice. So the premise of this book was that Alicia has a cousin who acts like a flirt, but disgusting, and she's stealing all the guys, so Massie and the other clique members have to stop her, and there's a valentine's day dance, and bets and a bunch of stuff just swirling around in the background. It kept things...interesting.

2. The Characters

The characters in this have all different traits and personalities, and it was very easy to tell them apart. I appreciate that they aren't just cookie-cutter characters. Because believe me, I have seen plenty of those.

The Bad:

1. The Realisticness (I know that's not a word) :)

This book is well, very glossy and fluffy, and almost doesn't deserve to be called realistic fiction because it totally DRAMATIZES the middle school experience, and almost every character is stereotypical. No joke. There's the clique, the geeks, the artists, the jocks, the misfits, and it's so ANNOYING! There are in-between people like me! It's like they erased me from a middle school! I am NOT the only person like that. 

That's the only bad thing about this book, but to me it's huge. I appreciate books that are realistic, not fantasized. Girls in middle school are not THAT immodest and cruel. But the big question is:

To Read Or Not To Read:

If you are reading this series, then you should READ!

If not, then obviously DON'T READ!

I know I said that if I rated a book less then 2.5 stars that I would not continue the series, but knowing these books, I will make an exception. 

That's that review, and now, for my Where'd You Go, Bernadette review:


Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
Rating: ***** freaking stars!!!!!!!!

Initial Reaction After Finishing This Book:





I am not even kidding. This is one of the BEST BOOKS I HAVE EVER READ!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Loved it so much and even thinking about it fills me with warm fuzzy happiness! I honestly can not think of one bad thing to say about this book, so this review will just be good, and sunshine and rainbows and lollipops. Oh, and unicorns. 

The Good:

1. The Characters. 

These characters were so 4-dimensional! Not even 3, but 4! I could relate to every single character, not because I act like all of them, but because I know people like that: Over-involved parents, genius kids, and the like. I have never read about an agoraphobic woman, and that was cool, to learn more about how they feel in certain situations, and it's so unique! I don't even know what else to say so I might as well move on to the next good thing about this book.

2. The Plot.

The plot was unlike anything I've read in my entire life. A trip to Antarctica gone horribly wrong. A dilapidated house with blackberry problems, a group of very angry PTA moms, or "Mercedes moms" as the book calls them, and agoraphobic mothers and work-obsessed fathers and genius daughters. It's all so different, and crazy, but the book manages to piece all this together into a book that MAKES SENSE. And also, I have not a read a GOOD mystery in a long time, so I was nervous going into this book, but it was a great mystery that kept you guessing till the very end.

3. The Layout.

Similar to Beauty Queens, but slightly different, about 85% of this book is composed of emails and letters and bills and the like, and the other 15% is writing, which makes this a very fun read. In the beginning, it felt like the author was throwing a bunch of random letters and emails at you, but then when you keep reading, it all starts fitting together, and it dawns on you that, "Oh! It all makes sense now!" Also, because this book was just a bunch of letters and things like that, the author could show the reader the story from different points of view without making it weird. It actually made me hate the antagonist less, knowing her point of view. 

4. The Humor.

I'm still fairly young, and I don't know if that has something to do with it, but this book was described as satirical, but I just didn't get it, but when I did get parts of the book, it made me laugh. And hard. Especially Bernadette's rant letter to an old friend. :) I would type it out but I don't have the book anymore. :( But I remember vaguely, so I'm just going to paraphrase what made me laugh hardest in the letter. Bernadette asks her friend if he's been wondering what she's been doing lately, and then she says she's changing the world or something like that, then exclaims, "Just kidding! I've been ordering shit off the internet!" I swear, I cracked up, reread that sentence, then cracked up again. 

See? There was NOTHING bad about this book. At least for me! So now it is a favorite, and based on this review, you can tell what my answer to the all-too-important question is!

To Read Or Not To Read?

TO READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Seriously, you need to go out and buy or check out this book NOW. You will NOT regret it. I didn't.

Oh, I almost forgot! I promised sunshine, lollipops, rainbows, and unicorns didn't I? Well, there ya go!

Sunshine!
Rainbow!

Lollipop!


Unicorn!
You're welcome!

So last, I have to intro and update Pretties!

Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

I loved Uglies, so I am very excited and have very high expectations for this book. And again, the review via  goodreads:

Gorgeous. Popular. Perfect. Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.

So yeah! I am super excited to read this!!!!

And my update:

So far, Pretties is okay. Some of the stuff freaks me out, like what the characters think is pretty, and I still don't have a crystal clear idea as to what bubbly means. So umm...yeah that's just OK. But the plot is really action-packed and awesome, and stuff and yeah.

I know that's not a huge update, but after that point I'd be just blabbering aimlessly.

So now I am all caught up! YAY!!!!!! I will hopefully complete this book by tomorrow!


Alrighty then!

Bye! :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...