Hoot by Carl Hiaasen: Review

Monday, April 15, 2013
So I ADORED this book the first time I read it, and love it even more now that I've re-read it!

I had to read this book for an at-home reading project, and at first I was like "Mer... I'd rather write about Divergent or The Hunger Games or something like that," But then I remembered how much I loved this book the last time I read it, and I was like "Hey! This could work!" So I read it and I'm glad I did! Onward to Narnia my review!

Rating: ***** stars!!!!!!
Initial Reaction After Finishing This Book:




In all honesty, I didn't actually READ this book the second time around, since I knew the plot so well. I skimmed and scanned through it. I was pretty happy when I finished this, because I finished this as soon as I finished my project, since I was doing both simultaneously. So maybe I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first time, yeah I lied. But it wasn't the books fault, it was mine, since I didn't really READ it, and didn't take time to enjoy it. Since it was my fault I won't bring my rating down.

The Good:

1. The Characters. This is, I think the 3rd review I've brought up eccentricity in, but I don't care because it applies the most here. It's basically the entire reason WHY I love Carl Hiaasen's books so much: His characters are unlike any other I've read about. I love the flamboyant personalities, and the whole larger-than-life thing everybody has got going, it's just I love ORIGINALITY, this book was tearing apart from the seams with it!

2. The Plot. This book is basically about three kids who bring down a major corporation to save a few burrowing owls who are protected. I love the whole eco-warrior thing this book has, and the message conveyed in it is simple, yet strong: Stand up for what you believe in, even if you stand alone. I know the idea of three kids beating a huge company sounds a tad unrealistic, but it's what the book is trying to say that matters, that it's the thought that counts. It's a very inspiring story, and throughout it is peppered Hiaasen's unforgettable humor and wit. I know some people have a problem with the fact that this book swears, but to that I say: GET OVER IT. There are a million great things about this book and you don't need to freak out about one tiny detail. Seriously.

3. The Humor. I love Carl Hiaasen's sense of humor. To show you what I mean, I would have quoted some passages, but I no longer have the book. This is why I am starting to take notes when I read, so I can more accurately review the book, and quote passages that stood out to me easily. But yeah, kind of got side tracked there. My point is that Hiaasen has a unique brand of humor that stands out and makes me laugh. :)

The Bad:

Trick Question! :)

I had NO problems with this book. It tackles the important idea of environmental preservation in a light-hearted way, and I recommend it for young and old alike. Yep, you guessed it!

To Read Or Not To Read?

Read! You should also check out his other books such as Scat, Flush, and Chomp.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...