City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare: Review

Sunday, May 19, 2013
I feel like any review won't do this book justice, but I'll try. Oh, and the fact that I saw this book my FIRST DAY on Goodreads but wasn't interested? I am KICKING myself.

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

Rating: ***** JAW-DROPPING stars.
Initial Reaction After Finishing This Book:




Yeah, plot twists? I HATE YOU SO. You EVIL, EVIL, EVIL THINGS. HOW DARE YOU EXIST? DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE.

I felt like this:


And also, I felt like this:


Reading this book was quite an emotional ride to say the least. In fact, reading this book is probably the most emotional reading experience I've had in my entire life. It was INSANE. 

The Good:

EVERYTHING. Fine. You want me to be more specific? This is gonna be a LONG review.

1. The Characters. Let's meet them all, shall we?

Clary:



Clary is a headstrong, independent, stubborn as hell girl who does not have a taste for listening to people. Her mother tells her not to come home. What does she do? Runs straight home of course! When someone tells her to stay put, what does she do? She wanders off somewhere, obviously! That's just one of the qualities I love about her, how she doesn't listen to ANYBODY but herself. Oh, and also, her short temper. It shows she IS flawed. She's an artist, and in the later books, there turns out to be some reason why that's significant. She is described as being short and having red hair and green eyes. The last quality I love about Clary is that she will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING for the people she loves.

Jace:

I want to say right off the bat something I forgot to mention. I am IN LOVE with the casting for the City of Bones movies. I think Jamie Campbell Bower, pictured above and Lily Collins are the perfect Jace and Clary. All the casting is excellent. I can NOT imagine Alex Pettyfer as Jace, and I know saying that I'm the minority but I DON'T CARE. Look at Jamie. LOOK AT HIM! He is the epitome of Jace! And plus since Lily and Jace are ACTUALLY a couple, the Clace chemistry should be fabulous! But back to Jace. He is basically a blunt, sarcastic, strong, and arrogant, jerk, but is EXTREMELY attractive, and his gorgeousness makes all the aforementioned qualities positive. He works them well! And then as you read more into the book, you realize what a deep, caring, vulnerable, and protective character he is. Plus he loves to read. He can quote SO many books. Oh, also he never understands a SINGLE pop culture reference. Ebay? He's never heard of it. 


Simon:














Oh Simon. My poor, poor Simon. He had been hopelessly in love with Clary for 10 years. 10 whole years. And then Clary meets Jace, and after a few weeks she falls in love with Jace. Ouch. Simon is the type of guy every girl wants to be their best friend, kind, smart, funny, caring, understanding, and someone who always has and will be there for you. To be honest with you, I think I'm more of Simon's type, the geeky and misunderstood chick :) But I don't know... it's just that Jace is... Okay, moving on.

Isabelle:

















Izzy! I love her! She is so tough and just is such an an amazing fighter! And man, you gotta love her golden whip! Her relationship with Simon is this book was...weird. Development please! I just wish there was more of her in this book! Oh, and her cooking. EGAD! Or actually, I should say since we ARE talking about The Mortal Instruments, BY THE ANGEL! ;)

Alec:












This guy right here. Well, he's another one I want to know more about. He's a bit  lot of a jerk in this book, but hopefully in the other books, it changes. Also, the thing between him and Magnus? OOH LA LA! Give me MORE! I thought it was interesting how even though ever since he was born he's been a Shadowhunter, he has still never killed a demon. Maybe that'll change!

And last, but DEFINITELY not least,

Magnus:










Magnus is a warlock, or as Izzy describes him in book two, a sexy, sexy warlock. He's also a diva, and holds the title, "High Warlock of Brooklyn." He likes holding lavish parties for no particular reason, and is fond of glitter. He has cat eyes, and some kind of a relationship with Alec. I swear though, the things he wears? He should have his own TV show!

Secondary characters:

Luke. I love him so much. SO MUCH. He is a confusing character at first, with you thinking he's not good, but TRUST ME. He is beautiful and wonderful and amazing and AMAZING. The way he loves Clary... it's just beautiful. He... *hugs Luke tightly* That's all I have to say.
Hodge. I can't say anything without spoiling what happens about Hodge, so highlight the text below if you want to see.

So Hodge basically, BETRAYS EVERYONE. I was so hurt because I had taken such an instant liking to him, and his love of books. But, nope. He helps Valentine. I was filled with a mix of rage and sadness, and wanted to simultaneously sob and throw a cup of acid in Hodge's face. I just felt so... lied to. It hurt man. It hurt.

Valentine. He... I...just...it's... actions speak louder than words, correct? *Strangles Valentine and throws his dead body of the top of a 100-story building where it falls in an ocean full of hungry sharks, and... okay that's enough. For now.*

So that's most of the characters! As you can see, I have strong emotions about all of them, whether good or bad.

2. The Humor. You have no clue HOW HARD this book made me laugh. Like a maniac. Really. Read these passages.

Funny quote montage:

"'Meanwhile,' Simon added, 'I wanted to tell you that lately I've been cross-dressing. Also, I'm sleeping with your mom. I thought you should know."

"'Jesus!' Luke exclaimed. 'Actually, it's just me,' Said Simon. 'Although I've been told the resemblance is startling.'"

"'I don't want tea,' Said Clary with muffled force. 'I want to find my mother. And then I want to find out who took her in the first place, and I want to kill them.'
'Unfortunately,' said Hodge, 'We're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing.'"
Isabelle: Dinnertime!
Jace: Dear god, the dread hour is nigh.
"1234 Nephilim: Facilis Descensus Averni."
Literal Translation: The Descent into Hell is easy.
Jace's translation: Shadowhunters: Looking better in black than the widows of our enemies since 1234.

I'll write more at the end :).

But my point is, that this book had great humor. Great humor. Usually when I say a book is funny, and that it had me laughing out loud, that's a lie. I am about as expressionless in those books as Kristen Stewart. But this book had me laughing so hard, my family probably thought I was a maniac and honestly, I don't blame them.

3. The Romance. Spoiler ahead, but not really.



Clary falls in love with Jace, completely ignoring her friend Simon who has been in love with her for 10 years.


But, I'm not surprised, and I doubt any of you will be either. From the moment you meet Jace, you know it's going to happen, and that it's just a matter of time. Now you might think that,

1. Why do I want to read a book that's predictable?
2. Love triangle? Ew, I'm out.

But hold it right there.

As far as predictability goes, sure the romance as predictable, but what happens soon after is absolutely NOT.

And the love triangle? Puh-leeze, it's barely a triangle. There is no possible way Clary and Simon could end up together, the way she and Jace are in love. It's so sweet really. Plus, even though you know that Simon will never get Clary, you still find yourself shipping Clary with both of them.

A conversation between both sides of my brain:

Side one: Who do you like better, Simon or Jace?
Side two: Simon, how about you?
Side one: Jace.
Side two: Simon.
Side one: Jace.
Side two: Simon

And so on to infinity.

But anyway, as I was saying, another great aspect of this book's romance is what it lacks: Insta-love!

Believe it or not, Jace and Clary do not meet and immediately start making out! No, there is insta-attraction, and their attraction grows as the become closer until they fall in love! It was a well-developed romance! For real!

And have I mentioned how adorable the romance is? Like how Jace tells Clary a bedtime story? Or how about how protective he is? Or that he gets her a gift for her birthday? And how he calls her beautiful?

But yet, Cassie Clare balances the sap we are all suckers for with some of Jace's sarcasm and wit, mixing it in with flirtiness, like this:

Jace (To Clary): "Do you remember back at the hotel, you promised that if we lived, you'd get dressed up in a nurse's outfit and give me a sponge bath?"

The romance with Simon was more heartbreaking than anything else. Because he's so helplessly in love with Clary. It's so sad. :(

4. The writing. With Cassandra Clare's writing, there are two things you can expect: Magnificent detail and figurative language. As in loads of it. The best part is that her figurative language is so unique, and her detail transports you straight to the setting: New York. And also, she writes from 3rd person omniscient, and while some people found the several viewpoints annoying, I personally enjoyed it immensely. So yeah, her writing is beautiful.

5. The plot. Obviously, I have to address this. The world Cassandra weaves is so startlingly unique, and so wonderful, and even though obviously fake, you feel like some element has GOT to be true. Also, she displays all kinds of creatures in the plot, vampires, warlocks, werewolves, faeries, the whole shebang. The basic plot is that this girl Clary, finds out she can see people no one else can, and that they are Shadowhunters, a group of half-angel, half-human beings who's purpose is to keep humans, or mundanes as they are called, safe from demons in their various forms. Clary finds out that she is also a Shadowhunter, but that her mother has tried to keep her away from this world for reasons you will find out soon enough! Oh, also, her mom gets kidnapped by her psycho husband who she hates since he's um... evil, but he still loves her, and Clary has to save her. It sounds kind of confusing, but actually, it's really wonderful and not confusing at all. Another part of the plot I need to address are those goddamn plot twists Cassie Clare loves so much. They stab you through the heart, but they're so GOOD! The twists combined with the boatloads of action make for a lot of nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat-moments. Plus, the whole glamour concept is really unique.

6. The ending. My god. My good god. Can you say PLOT TWIST? I am almost, no, actually, I did die at the end of this book. Like really. Really. It's so heartwrenching and horrible and evil, and WOW it REALLY makes you want to read the next book. I wanted to scream and cry and kill everybody within a ten mile radius, and...



To Read or Not To Read?

What do you think? YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK OR I WILL FIND YOU. And read it to you! :D

Oh yeah, quotes? Sigh, nah. Sorry. Maybe I'll write a new post or something for quotes. Yeah, let's do that.

See ya!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...