Crossed by Ally Condie: Review

Monday, May 6, 2013

Crossed (Matched #2) by Ally Condie
 Rating: **** stars

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake. Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever. 
Initial Reaction After Finishing This Book:

  Do you wanna know why I was so happy when I finished Crossed? It didn't end on a cliffhanger. I kid not. A Dystopian teenage novel that is part of a trilogy did not end on a cliffhanger.

It was shocking. It still made you want to read Reached, but without a cliffhanger. Or at least, I"m pretty sure it wasn't a cliffhanger. But anyway, my  review.

The Good:

1. The POV. This part of the book was great! In Matched, I really wanted to read more about Ky and his thoughts because he's pretty, well, quiet in the first book. And Crossed provided more about Ky, by switching the POV between him and Cassia, so you could get inside both of their heads. And also, the POV made for a TON of angst. Cassia and Ky are looking for each other, and the reader knows they're right by each other, but they don't, so it makes for a lot of me screaming "Go in the other direction Ky, that's where Cassia is! No, not that way, the other way!" 

2. The Setting. The setting of this book mainly takes in a canyon, and it was GORGEOUS. The way that Condie describes it, simply yet powerfully, really helped create an image in my mind.

3. The Cover. I'm sorry. I have to include this. I LOVE these covers. They are BEAUTIFUL. I like how through the three covers she breaks out of the bubble she's caught in, and the colors green, blue, and red, for the three tablets? And the outfits? GAHHH. Although compared to the Matched cover, I liked Matched's cover more, 'cuz the dress was so dang pretty! Any way, moving on.

4. The Writing. I know I mentioned it before, but I actually enjoy Ally Condie's simple writing style. It doesn't take away the power with the clutter of details. It's a break from all the details, she keeps her writing simple, concise, and to the point.

5. The Characters. I love all the characters, truly I do. Except um, Cassia, but I'll talk about that later. Ky and Xander, and Indie. Xander was much more lovable in this book, at least for me. And I loved the addition of tough-on-the-inside-but-actually-sensitive Indie. One thing I've noticed that is common in all writing geared towards a teenage audience, or at least several books, is that authors know how book-obsessed we all are, so to make the characters more lovable, they make them love reading. It happened in this book, Delirium, and City of Bones, and probably more books that aren't coming to mind right now.

6. The Romance. Obviously. The romance in this book made me smile SO MUCH! The following quotes are super sweet, but may be a mild spoiler, so READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

"'You're here,' he (Ky) says, breathing hard and hungry. Sweat and dirt cover his face, and he looks at me (Cassia) as though I'm the only thing he ever needed to see. I open my mouth to say  yes, but I only have time to breathe in before he closes the last of the distance. All I know is the kiss."
AWWW :)

And this:

"Cassia and I  (Ky) sit as near to each other as we can. She leans into me and I keep my arms around her. I don't fool myself that I hold her together-she does that on her own. But holding her keeps me from flying apart."

Again, AWWW.

6. The ending. One, the shockers were pretty good, but she didn't end the book with some crazy twist ending but still makes you want to keep reading the trilogy. I applaud you Ally Condie.

But, this book came with the bad as well :(

1. The Characters. As aforementioned, my only problem was Cassia, and I actually realized this right now while I type my review. I was thinking of why I love the characters so much: Ky for his undying love, Xander for his sacrifice, Indie for being headstrong. But then I thought of Cassia, and I realized, I don't have an opinion about her. I didn't think she was a particularly annoying character, but I didn't love her either. I was indifferent to her. The main character. And that's not really a good thing at all. She seems so one-dimensional to me. I don't feel any emotion about her, because she doesn't... I don't even know.I realized that the only reason I want Ky or Xander, mostly Ky, to end up with Cassia, is because they love her. Honestly, I can't imagine why, but whatever makes my babies happy. :) But my personal opinion is that Ky and Xander are too good for Cassia. These emotions, or more like lack of emotions, is so strange. I've almost always had an opinion on the main character.

2. Confusion. M'kay. What the hell is a decoy? Who the hell is the Enemy? What the... who the... why the... I didn't understand WHAT was going on for Ky's side of the story whenever they talked about the decoys, or the Enemy, or anything related to where they took Ky. MERGH.

So I gave this book 4 stars because all though I loved almost everything about it, some parts confused me, and I feel no emotion towards the main character whatsoever.

To Read or Not To Read?

I still recommend this trilogy! If you haven't read Matched, read it, then Crossed, and if you have read Matched, read Crossed. Just... read it. :D


2 comments:

Eveline dV said...

I read Matched, but because of the bad reviews Crossed got on Goodreads I have not read that one. But after your good review I'm willing to try it :)

Saru Garg said...

Yay! Just give it a try! I know people are very divided about the Matched trilogy :)

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...