The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: Review

Saturday, June 1, 2013
*Sobs* I'm ready to review this. Wait... no I'm not. *Sobs again*

I'll actually NEVER be ready to review this book, so I guess I'll just have to type through the pain. :(


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Rating: ***** tear-soaked stars

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

Initial Reaction After Finishing this book:




Those three gifs/images basically sum up how I felt after reading TFiOS and how I feel every time I think about it.It hurts man. I just... the review. I have to do this. Okay? Okay.

The Good:

1. The Characters. AUGUSTUS FREAKING WATERS. I love him so unspeakably much! These are physical descriptions of him:

"Long and leanly muscular, he dwarfed the molded plastic elementary school chair he was sitting in. Mahogany hair, straight and short. He looked my age, maybe a year older, and he sat with his tailbone against the edge of the chair, his posture aggressively poor, one hand in a pocket of dark jeans."

"His voice was low, smoky and dead sexy."

Also, he is described as having blue eyes and a hell of a jawline, with a crooked gait, with a crooked smile as well. *cough*ATTRACTIVE*cough*.

But Augustus's looks aren't the only amazing thing about him, also, he has an amazing personality. He's smart, funny, and a very deep thinker. He has a very positive outlook on life:

Augustus: "Oh I'm grand. I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend."
 Hazel is described as being bloated from pain medication with a pixie hair cut. Augustus told her he thought she looked like Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta. Hazel, like Augustus, is wise beyond her years, witty, a vegetarian and oh yeah...loves to read!

"Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books..., which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal."

That's basically the two most important characters. A strange aspect of this book, is that there isn't really an antagonist. There's no bad guy. You could say that cancer's the bad guy, but I don't think John Green wanted it to be the bad guy, because the book itself says that cancer isn't a bad guy, it just wants to live.

2. The Romance. I just... It's... I...

Hazel: "Why are you looking at me like that?" 
Augustus: "Because you're beautiful. I enjoy looking at beautiful people, and I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence." 
 And then, their "okays," and the way Hazel fell in love the way you sleep, slowly, then all at once, and... UGH. The feels. The feels. There is just a boatload of beautiful romance in this book. If I keep quoting, then this review will be too long, so, I'll just leave it at that.

3. The Writing. I can't begin to tell you how unbeliavably deep this book is. It tackles the sensitive subjects of cancer and death in a deep, funny, and heartbreaking way.


"Depression is a side effect of dying.(Cancer is also a side effect of dying. Almost everything is, really."

"Pain demands to be felt."

"'The fault dear Brutus, is not in our stars/But in ourselves.'"

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities."

"The marks humans leave are too often scars."

"My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations."

These might just be some of the deepest and most powerful quotes I have ever read.

3. The Humor. This book could've easily been depressing as hell but John Green made sure that wouldn't happen, interlacing some funny moments within the book.

Hazel: "I hardly know you Augustus Waters. You could be an ax murderer.

So..yeah. Several funny stuff kept occurring in the book, so you didn't cry the entire time.

4. The emotions. Or, in more understandable terms, the feels. GAH. SO MANY. This book made me laugh uncontrollably, and cry as well. Cry? Let's address that.

IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THIS BOOK, THEN LEAVE NOW. THIS IS A MAJOR SPOILER AND I DON'T WANT YOU TO HATE ME SO JUST GO. 

To Read or Not to Read?

God, all humans NEED to read this book. It's so hard to put into words how great it was, so just take my word for it, and READ IT.

Okay people who haven't read this book! BYEE!


Hi people who've read this book!

Well, you know what I'm about to address, don't you?

MY BABY AUGUSTUS...dies. ASDFGHJKL; I CAN'T BEGIN TO...MY FREAKING GOD I LOST IT I DID I CRIED. THIS IS THE 2ND BOOK TO MAKE ME CRY IT HURT IT HURT IT HURT IT HURT IT HURT MY HEART MY GUS JOHN GREEN...*Breaks down into gasping sobs, falls to ground and curls into a ball, rocking back and forth, murmuring "Gus..."*


So, that is my review! It sucks, I know. It's just, like I said, hard to describe how amazing it is. But I... okay, READ IT. I'm done.

Bye! :)

2 comments:

booksteame.com said...

Love love love this review, just as much as I love this book. I also wrote a review on it if you want to take a peek!

Saru Garg said...

Thank you! I'll check out your review :D

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...