Book Hangovers

Thursday, July 25, 2013
Hey everyone!

So, I am going through a terrible book hangover right now, and I need your help.

If you're not familiar with a book hangover, well...

The definition of a book hangover
Let me walk you through what happened.

So, 9 days ago, I finished Prodigy by Marie Lu. I was blown away and left in hysterics, unable to comprehend what I had just read.

Exactly how I felt.
So after a few hours of gushing about the book, and panicking about the ending, I decided it was time to start a new book. I grabbed The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, plopped onto my bed, and opened up to the first page.

And I couldn't read it.

I tried, believe me, I tried to read it, but my mind literally refused to understand what I was reading. All that was going through my mind was thoughts of Day and June (especially Day), and how I would have to wait till November for book three.

Finally, I stop trying to read The Knife of Never Letting Go, and went back to a world I know I loved: The Delirium world. I had a paperback checked out of the library that was a collection of three short stories told from the point of view of different characters in the Delirium world. I absolutely loved it, and found that I was out of my book hangover! It was great!

Then, I picked up The Titan's Curse, and started reading it. On Tuesday, I went to the library. While I was there, I saw an astounding sight: The 2-chapter sampler of Champion which was only available at BEA, in the hands of a librarian who I enjoy talking to. I let out a huge gasp, and started rambling incoherently. She offered to let me borrow it, and I let loose a torrent of gratitude. When I got home, I set upon reading it almost immediately. I knew I shouldn't read it, because it would just throw me back into my book hangover, but it was right there, in my hands, and I was helpless. I had to read it. About 15 minutes later, I was done, and I was an emotional wreck. And I knew I was back in my book hangover.

Now once again, I want to read, but I can't do it. The Titan's Curse sits, untouched, on the same page as I was 2 days ago.

I need advice. How do you guys get over book hangovers? I don't know what to do!

Please leave a comment letting me know how you deal with book hangovers so I can get over this one!

Thanks!



4 comments:

Nordie said...

you do the dishes, the dusting, the ironing, go for a walk, talk to at least two humans, have a glass of wine in the local hostelry. You DO NOT READ.

Repeat every day until at least middle of next week

Saru Garg said...

That sounds like very sound advice, that I will use. Thank you! :D

Mrs. Clausell said...

How about writing? See if your creativity will allow you to develop a world for others to get sucked in.

Saru Garg said...

I have actually been writing some (terrible) stories, and it has been helping! Thanks for the advice! :D

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...