Eragon by Christopher Paolini: Review

Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Yay! It's a review!

Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle #1) by Christopher Paolini
Rating: *** stars

One boy . . . One dragon . . . A world of adventure. When Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon soon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself. Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic, and power. With only an ancient sword and the advice of an old storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a king whose evil knows no bounds. Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands.



Initial Reaction after finishing this book:
This book had a lot of potential, but was a let down. It was recommended to me by a friend, who calls this "The best series ever", so I thought it would be amazing!

I was wrong.

I mean, I liked it, but not as much as I thought I would.

Let's just start with what I liked about it:

I think that Paolini writes action very well. During all of the action scenes (of which there are not enough), I was on the edge of my seat! Things just kept happening,and you couldn't predict them! Shades and dragons appeared and there were sword-fights and magic-fights, and more!
One of my favorite aspects of these books was the relationship between Eragon and Saphira. I loved how much they cared for each other, and how they had each other's backs, while still having little fights. I thought it was really cute. Also, the fact that Eragon and Saphira could read each other's minds, and could meld their strength together to perform tiring magic spells was a really cool concept.
All the magical creatures like Werecats and Urgals were really great additions to the story, and made it more intriguing. You just wanted to know what they were!
Paolini wrote the first draft of this story at fifteen. That said, he needs to be given some props. The writing, when not info-dumpy, was very descriptive, and the word choice was excellent!
Also, some of the plot points caught you by surprise, which I always like to have, even though they were sad. :(

My main problem with this book was that it was about 300 pages too long. In an attempt to do some world-building, Paolini just dumps pages and pages of information on you, and it is boring as hell. I had to drag myself through those portions. I remember telling myself to just read another 10, 20 pages. I was forcing myself. That's why I recommend this book to people who are willing to fight their way through pages of unnecessary crap to get to the good stuff. The book only gets very interesting near the end. That was the point where I couldn't put it down. Other than the end, the book moved at a snail's pace, minus the rare action scenes that dot the middle.
Oh, another thing I forgot to address. What was with Eragon and the elf woman? It really got on my nerves that he didn't even know who she was, but he still found the need to feel a sense of responsibility towards her, and rescue her. I think it's safe to say that he didn't know her, yet he was in love with her.

Really Christopher Paolini? REALLY?


David Tennant is not amused.

So basically, minus the majority of this book boring stuff and the strange insta-love, this book was really good! I'll pick up the sequel eventually, but it's not something I'm really looking forward to.

To Read or Not to Read?

If you have have a strong will, or are willing to persevere, then I do recommend this book! Otherwise, you may find it too tedious.

4 comments:

Eveline V said...

I DNF this book, I found it way too tedious. Nothing had happened after 200 pages and it did not seem like the pace was going to speed up anytime soon, so I quit. Great review, I respect your perseverance :)

Saru Garg said...

I know exactly what you mean! It was very tedious, but I plowed through it because I figured it had to have something good for someone to recommend it to me. Thank you! :)

Rachel Ann said...

Great review! I was planning on reading this book eventually but I definitely don't have the patience right now. Thanks for the advanced warning. :)

Rachel @ The Big Book Binge

Saru Garg said...

Thank you! I'm glad the review helped you. :D

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...