Book Blather: Blogging Insecurities and Struggles

Saturday, August 31, 2013
Hi everyone!


I thought to kick off my new discussion post, I would start off with something that's on my mind a lot: My insecurities and struggles as a blogger.

So, I am a fairly new blogger, I'll admit. I started this blog on January 22, 2013.

I really enjoy blogging, but I've been struggling recently. 

My first struggle is my reviews. Reviews are a lot of fun to write, but they also take a LOT of time, and oftentimes it's really difficult to know what to say. I've started to fall into a hole of reviews I need to write. I have about a bajillion reviews I need to write, and little to no time.

Also, branching off the fact that I have A BAJILLION TRILLION MILLION reviews to write, I've started to have to take notes when I read, not only for quotes and that regular stuff, but also what's going on in the plot, because I know that by the time I get around to reviewing the book, I won't remember anything that happened. This note-taking has led to something horrific: I have a lessened interest in reading. Every time I go to read, I decide not to, because then I know that I'll have to take notes, and I don't like doing that because it's takes out a lot of the pleasure reading gives and makes it feel like an absolute chore. I'm afraid that until I'm caught up on reviews, I'll be caught in this horrible situation. 

Just compare how many books I've read this year to what I had read at this time last year.

This year I've read 37 books.
At this time last year, I had read 53 books.

That's a difference of 16 books. It honestly makes me so mad at myself. It's driving me crazy.

Leonardo DiCaprio is me right now, and that other guy is me when I'm not reading.

Yeah.

On to my insecurities.

Since I am a fairly new blog, I don't have that many followers. As much as I hate to admit it, and as much as I hate to sound jealous, when I go to other people's blogs, and see they have 200 or 300 followers, I get more than a little bit jealous.

When I see someone with a ton of followers

That problem, however, CAN BE SOLVED! My lovely followers, please, please please...


Comment on my posts.

I know you all comment a lot on my meme posts, but I get almost no comments on my reviews, and that kind of sends a message to me that you all *cringes* don't like my reviews. If you actually don't, then comment anyway and tell me how I can improve my reviews!

I think that's about it for this post!

Do you ever get jealous of other bloggers? Do you have any struggles or insecurities when it comes to blogging? Do you like my new discussion posts? How am I doing? Please leave a comment below letting me know!


Thanks, everyone! :)





6 comments:

Rachel Ann said...

Great post! I feel the same way. I have only been blogging for a month and I have already struggled with keeping up with reviews since I just want to read, read and read. I tell myself I need to write the review within a week of finishing the book - this hasn't been working out as of yet, but I am going to play catch up tomorrow.

I have also noticed that traffic and comments are higher on my memes versus my reviews which is discouraging. The best way I have found to get people to comment on all blog post is develop a relationship with a few blogger that you post on their reviews/post and they will most likely return the favor.

Rachel @ The Big Book Binge

yaescapefromreality said...

I'm a new blogger too so I completely understand how you feel. We get so many more comments on Top Ten Tuesday, WoW, and STS than reviews. As far as reviewing, I've decided to just not worry about it if I read a book but don't review it. Also, I've done some mini-reviews. I review a couple of books together, but just write a paragraph about them rather than a full-blown review. Sometimes I wonder if that would be better anyway. Everyone is so busy maybe shorter would be better! :) ~Pam

Saru Garg said...

Rachel Ann- Thank you! I'm glad I'm not alone with this issue. That's actually a really good idea that I might use (if I ever get caught up on reviews).

That's also a good idea, but a lot of the time it doesn't work, unfortunately. Maybe I'll give it another try. Thank you so much for commenting!

Saru Garg said...

Pam- Oh, glad you understand as well! I know, right? Mini reviews are nice, but those and no reviews leave me unsatisfied! I took all those notes for a reason! ;) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Rachel Ann said...

I would agree that sometimes you should just read a book for fun knowing that you aren't going to review it. I blog with a co-worker and sometimes we read the same books so then only one of us will review it and the other will just enjoy the ride. :) Don't feel obligated to review everything! This blog post I found might help too... http://daisychainbookreviews.blogspot.ie/2011/10/bloggers-under-pressure-tips-on-how-to.html

Rachel @ The Big Book Binge

Saru Garg said...

Thanks so much, Rachel! That's good advice. :)

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...