2013 End of Year Book Survey!

Tuesday, December 31, 2013
*Drumrolls* Dear friends, the time has come...


Let's get right in to recapping this year, my first year blogging! This survey about our reading and blogging habits in the year 2013 was created by the lovely Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner. Here's her original post.

Best in Books



Best book you read in 2013? (Genre breakdown?)
Dystopia/Sci-Fi: The Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu.
Fantasy: The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
Realistic Fiction: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more but didn't?
Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor.
Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
I swear guys, I'm not trying to be repetitive, but The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.
Best series you discovered in 2013?
(I'm so sorry). The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.
Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Technically, I didn't discover him because I knew about him before, but 2013 was the first time I read one of his books. John Green is now hands-down not only my favorite author, but one of my favorite people and someone I aspire to be like.
Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple was the first adult contemporary book I ever read, and I loved it!
Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Prodigy by Marie Lu.
Book you read in 2013 that you most likely to re-read next year?
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

Most memorable character in 2013?
Tris Prior, for several reasons. *maintains pokerface*.
Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente.
Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. It served as a spectacular pick-me-up when I was down, which unfortunately this year, has been a lot of the time.
Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan.
Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?
"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities."
-The Fault in Our Stars, John Green
Shortest and longest book you read in 2013?
Shortest: The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros (110 pages)
Longest: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (584 pages)
Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it? (A WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, ETC).
Definitely Allegiant by Veronica Roth. The ending. OH. MY. GOD.
Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc.)
PERCABETH.
Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you've read previously?
I guess Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver. I didn't read a lot of books by authors that I had read previously.
Best book you read in 2013 that you read SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else?
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente. I thought it was pretty good, but not my favorite. but as previously mentioned, I loved the writing.
Genre you read the most from in 2013?
Fantasy, with 17 books. In 2nd was Dystopian/sci-fi with 13 and in third with 10 was realistic fiction.
Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Oh, so many. I think I have to say that recently, the one I've been crushing on really hard, is Percy Jackson.
Best 2013 debut you read?
Ack... I don't think I read any 2013 debuts. *Cringes*.
Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor. I loved her imagery, especially of a setting like Prague.
Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?
Beauty Queens by Libba Brat. Start to finish, it was a blast!
Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?
The book that made me cry the hardest this year was without a doubt The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I got really close to drowning in a pool of my own tears.
Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out?
I don't know, I guess Cinder by Marissa Meyer? Plenty of people read it, but not enough by my standards. ;)


Book blogging/Reading life in 2013


New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
I swear, Jamie, I'm not trying to flatter you just because this is your survey, but it is The Perpetual Page-Turner.
Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
I sucked at reviewing this year, but probably my review for The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
Best discussion you had on your blog?
Definitely my discussion on book hangovers. There weren't many comments on my blog, but I got several on my Google+ profile. 
Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else's blog?
I don't know, actually. I don't keep track of all the discussions I comment on!
Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Probably doing Christmas Booktube-a-thon.
Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
Whenever I get a new comment on a post. :)
Most popular post this year on your blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
By views, for some reason it was my review of Hoot by Carl Hiaasen.
Post you wished got a little more love?
The one where I opened up about my insecurities as a blogger.
Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Blogger! I did start my blog this year, after all. :)
Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Well, my original, and only challenge was for 100 books this year and I failed... miserably.

Looking Ahead... 


One book you didn't get to in 2013 but will be your number one priority in 2014?
Definitely catching up on the Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan!
Book you are most anticipating for 2014 (non-debut)?
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
2014 debut you are most anticipating?
I can't see any on my immediate list...uh oh! I have to change that! Any books you guys recommend I look out for?
Series ending you are most anticipating in 2014?
Also City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare.
One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2014?
Read more, gain more followers, get more comments, and definitely catch up on all my reviews. :)


That's my post! Happy New Year! Leave a link to your survey in the comments, tell me what you thought of mine, or answer some questions down below.

Bye guys!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...